This permits enables the holder to carry out reconnaissance for minerals on a non-exclusive basis. The holder is not to engage in drilling, excavation or other sub-surface techniques and must conduct activities in an environmentally and socially responsible manner and compensate for any damage to crops and property in the course of prospecting. The permit is issued for one year and it is not transferable, but renewable annually
A license will not be granted over any land that is subject of an existing Exploration License, Mining Lease, Small Scale Mining Lease, Quarry Lease or closed to prospecting/mining activity (E.g Forest reserves, military areas, government dev areas, national heritage area etc). The area of land covered by an Exploration License shall not exceed 200Km sqr (1000 CUs)
- Application duration: 30 days on reception of a valid application
- License duration: 3 years renewable for a further 2 terms of two(2) years each, provided that the title holder has complied with minimum work commitment/programme and all the other legal requirements.
The MCO on receipt of a valid application, shall grant and issue a Mining Lease within 45 days of the application. The lease area shall be determined in relation to the ore body as defined in the feasibility study, in addition to an area reasonably required for the working of the deposit, not exceeding 50Km sqr (250 CUs.)
- Application duration: 45days on reception of a valid application
- Lease duration: 25 years, renewable every 24 years, provided that holder has complied with the minimum work programme and all other legal and regulatory requirements.
The lease enables the holder to perform quarrying activities. The area of land shall not exceed 5Km sqr (25 Cus)
- Application duration: 45 days on reception of valid application
- Lease duration: 5 years and renewable every 5 years, provided that holder has complied with the minimum work programme and all other legal and regulatory requirements.
Small Scale Mining Lease